It’s been said that we all have a Super Power. If you haven’t heard that before it’s because I just said it, right now. But believe me, it’s true. There are numerous words used to describe the things you are good at doing: gifts, talents, skill set, strengths. Some people may be an ultimate badass at one thing in particular, like an olympic snowboarder. Others may not be an expert in one field, but possess a handful of areas were they shine. Whatever your strong suit may be, I prefer to call it your Super Power. Because, after all, these are the qualities that give you power and empower you to be your best.
If this sounds foreign to you, you may be suffering from one of the following Super Power deficit conditions.
You haven’t identified your Super Power(s).
It is possible that some claim to either not have a Super Power or not know their Super Power. It’s possible, but highly unlikely. It’s more likely you don’t want to say it out loud. You don’t want to make it real, because then you might have to use that power. That’s a legit excuse. Wait, wait…no it’s not. That is seriously lame. You cannot hide from your Super Power. It will stick to you like a hair on soap and hunt you down until the end of your days. How many stories have you read of high level executives who quit their jobs to becomes bakers or small business owners or professional clowns? It took these folks awhile to submit to their Super Power, but once they did they were reborn.
If you are having trouble pin pointing what you are good at, take 10 minutes today to jot down at least 3 ideas. Here are some hints:
- It is probably something that you also find fun.
- You probably already do these things to pass the time or when you are procrastinating.
- The things people say you are good at are your Super Powers.
You are not using your Super Power(s).
If you are currently not using your Super Power, it’s time to start. How ever big or small you perceive it to be, this I know is true: the world is in need of your Super Power. Do you like to paint on the side? Open an etsy shop and share you work. Are you philanthropically minded? Sign-up for a trip to help build schools in Africa. The bottom line is DO SOMETHING. Anything. Just stop trying to keep your power tucked neatly away. You’re not doing anyone any favors, especially yourself.
If I had to guess, I would say that if you know what your Super Power is, but haven’t been using it, you have been day dreaming of how you would. But if you are still uncertain, here is how you can start using your Super Power.
- Accept that you might not be #1 in the world at this and know that is OK. The point is using it will feed your soul and bring something unique into the world. Who knows? You may end up being #43 at whatever it is you rock out at – which is really freaking incredible. Just keep at it.
- Find a place for your Super Power in your schedule. Be it daily, weekly or monthly, schedule it in! Write down a day, time and place. You are more likely to follow through if you have these details on paper.
- Own it. This is your Super Power. Not your mama’s, not your best friend’s, not your third grade teacher’s…it belongs to YOU. So don’t compare yourself to what others are doing or how they are doing it. Keep those intentions pure.
- Make it fun. For the love of all that is wonderful in this world, do not stress over your Super Power. It might present struggles or be time consuming but it must be fun. It should leave you wanting more. That’s how you know you’ve tapped into what makes you phenomenal – your wheels are always greasy with the idea of it.
Start flexing your power muscles today. Encourage someone else to do the same.
What is your Super Power? Share it with us in the comments!
Stay Focused With This Free Guide
Enter your email and the Guide To Creating More Focus In One Hour will appear in your inbox.You will be high-fiving yourself for making this good choice.